Monday 11 July 2011

Quinoa Crunch With Broccoli and Tuna in Coarse Tomato Sauce.

1 tin of Tuna Fish
100 grams of raw broccoli florets
1 cup of water (1 cup = 6 fluid oz)
1 heaped tablespoon of porridge oats
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
1 teaspoon of Fajita seasoning


Thickening agents come in many forms; the quickest one I know of is porridge oats.  It's healthy and unadulterated too.  (I mean it's a whole food. - so I don‘t know why I didn‘t just say that, because I don‘t know what unadulterated means anyway.)

I don't know of anyone else that uses porridge oats in this way, but I'd be surprised if it's unique to me. 

This recipe is a winner in this house.  I don't know why cooks think that sauces have to be smooth anyway.  Smooth sauces are for sissies.  A substantial texture with plenty of flavour is much more appetising:

I was in a hurry this morning anyway, so I had no time to mess about with a proper roux, or cornflour, and I never bother with shop bought thickeners like granules etc, so here's what I did. 

I'll call it Quinoa Crunch With Broccoli and Tuna in Coarse Tomato Sauce

Ingredients for filling:

1 tin of Tuna Fish
100 grams of raw broccoli florets
1 cup of water (1 cup = 6 fluid oz)
1 heaped tablespoon of porridge oats
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
1 teaspoon of Fajita seasoning

Method for filling:

Microwave the oats and water in an oven proof dish for 5 minutes.  (Use a medium to large casserole dish to prevent it from boiling over the sides.)  Let it cool a little, then stir in the rest of the ingredients, leaving the Tuna and broccoli to last. 

Ingredients for quinoa topping:

½ cup of uncooked quinoa
1 knob of coconut oil or a dessertspoon of olive oil
1½ cups of water
Seasoning

Method for crunchy topping
Cooked quinoa coated in coconut oil,turmeric and Fajita seasoning

1½ cups of water to every ½ cup of quinoa.  Put the quinoa in the cold water and bring it to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
When it’s cooked, (it’ll have absorbed all the water) add the oil and seasoning, and coat the quinoa with it.  You can stir in a little spices or flavouring too.  Turmeric will give it a yellow colouring - you can use some Fajita seasoning for this too - sprinkle it over the rest of the dish. 

If you like your broccoli cooked, give the whole dish a further 10-15 minutes in the microwave. 

To make the topping crunchy, brown the top layer under the grill/salamander.

That’s it!  I find this recipe quick and easy - more to the point, it goes down well, and that keeps me out of the doghouse.

Fish Kedgeree Made With Quinoa and Sprouted Mung Beans
The Best Possible Way To Store Fresh Green Vegetables
 Quinoa - Health Benefits and Cooking Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment